# 169 Tuesday, June 13 , 2006 -  OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT BUSH
June 13, 2006
Dear Honorable President George Bush:
Because of your foresight, my paralyzed son Roman Reed is a giant step
closer to walking again.

Using stem cell lines approved by your August 9, 2001 decision, a scientist
named Dr. Hans Keirstead restored partial motion to paralyzed rats, at the
Reeve-Irvine Research Center, University of California at Irvine.  A small
California law (named after my son), the Roman Reed Spinal Cord Injury
Research Act, provided partial funding for that ground-breaking work.  I
held one of those formerly-paralyzed rats in my own hands, while my son
watched from his wheelchair.

Next year, that research goes to human trials. Part of the credit goes to
your August 9, 2001 decision to allow embryonic stem cell research to move
forward under careful supervision, on stem cell lines made from embryos
already slated to be destroyed.

Building on that strong foundation, I request that you meet with
Assemblywoman Diana DeGette, to discuss House Resolution 810, the Stem Cell
Research Enhancement Act.

You have heard the arguments before: how cure research is the single best
way to lower America's gigantic medical costs; the vast support that
research has among our people; how new information reveals the need for
additional stem cell lines.

I would like to offer three more points:

First, with one exception, HR 810 supports your August 9, 2001 position on
embryonic stem cell research. Exactly the same sort of research would be
eligible for funding. The only real difference between your position and
House Resolution 810 is the cut-off date.

Secondly, it is natural that reasons of faith should influence your
decision, as they do for most Americans. You have stated that one life must
not be sacrificed to save another. But did not Richard Nixon, a Quaker, send
drafted soldiers to Viet Nam, offering their lives on the altar of liberty?
Did not the Son of Man sacrifice His own life, to save us all?

On a personal note, Mr. President, you and I have something tragic in
common. Like you, I lost a sister to leukemia. Her name was Patty; she died
at age 24. I miss her every day. But I also have another sister, Barbara,
who has leukemia and cancer right now.

Mr. President, please consider meeting with Assemblywoman DeGette, and find
a way to support House Resolution 810. My son, my sister, and the families
of one hundred million Americans suffering from incurable disease and
disability will thank you.
Sincerely,
Don C. Reed
By Don Reed, www.stemcellbattles.com