-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Priscilla Rodrigues
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 9:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: On being defined by our name

Hello
Iwish to quote A note from DR Jill You are not your disease I so often hear
patients take ownership of their Parkinsons diseaseby saying My Parkinsons
disease is bothering me How often have I heard doctors and nurses refer to
people as Parkies
In Navajo culture the y believethat words are reality,the words I say are
partly reponsible for giving the patientParkinsons disease This is an
important message.We all have to be careful as doctors or nurses,practioners
and patients not to define or label others or ourselves by a disease.If we
do this then the disease and its symptons become our focus We risk losing
the realfocus of what we are.Eg Iam an accoutant with a wife and children a
man who koves music reading  an has a keen sense of humour and that I am not
a Parkie

Ronal Rodrigues