From: "Terrie Starr" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2006 11:10 AM
Subject: Open Letter to Parkinson's disease

Hi all, Below is a letter that a very good friend of mine wrote about 10 or
more years ago.  I have posted it here before but it's been a while.   The
author or the letter, also named Terry, gave me the letter to share with the
world.  So, here it is.....Terrie (Whitling) Starr

An Open  Letter to Parkinson’s disease
Terry  Ogden
2/12/95
I know  you.
It took some time and a  lot of pain,
But now I know you and  what you are and what you do.
And tragically – how you  do it.
I hate  you.
I say this without rage  and not out of an emotional fever.
I say it coldly, logically  and with all my faculties in tact.
I hate you and as long as  I draw breath, you are my mortal enemy.
You came into my life  unwelcome and uninvited.
You began as an  inconvenience; a nuisance.
And I adjusted and went  on, but you weren't satisfied.
A shaking hand, an  unsteady grip, a stiffening gait was just your
introduction.
You eventually robbed me  of the pleasure to be found in the simple act of a
casual stroll, or writing a  letter, or taking a drive.
Still I tried to adjust,  abide and endure.
But the irritation became  an obstacle and the obstacle became a torment.
What had begun as a  physical encumbrance, all too soon became a way of
life.
Ever-present, all  encompassing, affecting every moment of every day.
And at the end of each  day, you deprived me of the sleep that might have
given me strength to face the  next.
I am not alone in my  struggle.
I have wonderful friends  who understand all that they can and forbear what
they  cannot.
I have a loving and  constantly supportive family, who amaze
me with an unending well  of compassion, patience and stamina.
And I have a life partner  who is my lover, my best friend, my strength and
now my partner in pain, because  she must bear my suffering, but without the
refuge she gives  me.
The passion with which I  love my family is infinite and unbounded.
It never diminishes and  grows with each passing hour.
And, in kind, because you  seek to injure and torment my family,
With this same unbounded  and infinite passion do I hate you.
What you have done to me  would be more than enough to deserve my hatred.
But, you see, all you do  to me, in turn, hurts those I love.
And that I can not  tolerate.
What did you take from  me?
If I might overlook the  loss of productivity and recreation,
If I could forget the  physical pain and the endless hours wasted in
repeated
attempts to accomplish  the simplest of tasks.  There is  another assault
that I can not ignore.
In the taking of my simple  dignities you have depleted my tolerance.
In taking away my power  and clarity of speech, you rob me of my need to
communicate, to express myself,  to teach and to learn.
When you block my ability  to dress myself, feed myself and to provide for
myself the basic needs of each  day you steal from me the absolute primal
human
need for dignity and an  embraceable self-image.
That’s when I saw you for  what you truly are.
After turning me into a  physical caricature of the person I once was,
After taking away my  mobility, productivity and creative abilities,
After altering the very  nature of how I led my life, you assaulted the last
remaining vestige of the  quality of my life; my simple human dignity.
That’s when I knew you for  what you are.
You are a bully and  indeed, all bullies are cowards.
When I recognized you for  the cowardly son of a bitch that you are,
That’s when I gave myself  permission to hate you.
Hate can be destructive  and counter-productive and as such should usually
be
avoided.   But when we encounter evil,  injustice and cruelty, we are
entitled to hate with an unbridled  self-righteousness.
If ever evil existed, it  is you.
I now know how to fight  you.
You glory in what I can  not do, in what you can deprive me of.
So, I will fight you with  all the can-dos in my arsenal.
If I get out of bed, you  lose.
If I get dressed, you  lose.
If I can produce, create,  nurture, learn, grow or be of help to anyone,
anywhere, you  lose.
It is a battle of one hour  at a time and each hour brings me the chance to
look you in the eye and say with  all the voice I can muster ‘I DO NOT FEAR
YOU’
.
I know you now for a  coward and a bully and I know that as such, you thrive
and grow on fear, despair  and hopelessness.
But this is where your  power ends and mine begins.
My courage and hope can  only be taken by you if I give them to you.
I control these and as  long as I live, they will be steadfast and ever
strengthening,
Because I know how badly  you desire this last bastion of my sanity and
self-worth.
Hope and courage, these  are my weapons and with them I plan to beat you to
whimpering and cowardly  submission.
It is only fair to warn  you that in my fight, there are many soldiers;
scientists, doctors, surgeons;  who at this very moment are planning and
progressing towards your ultimate and  irrevocable demise; caregivers, who,
though not
afflicted themselves, live with  the suffering through their love and stand
shoulder to shoulder with their loved  ones to hasten your defeat.
And across the world,  millions of my brothers and sisters you have
victimized, tormented and  abused.
We all  hate you.
We will  not fear you.
We defy  you.