State should fund vital stem cell research

6/18/2006

  I am writing in regard to the article, "Building opens its doors to
research, area's future." Along with funding Buffalo's new medical research
campus, the State Legislature could help this "symbol of hope" produce
future cures by including significant funding for stem cell research in the
state budget. Both Democrat and Republican leaders have told advocacy groups
that they support this funding, yet neither side has made a concerted effort
to resolve differences and get the research funded this year.
State funding for this vital medical research is critical for the
development of effective treatments and possible cures for the millions of
people who suffer from serious, chronic illnesses and injuries, including
juvenile diabetes, Parkinson's, spinal cord injuries and cancer.
The federal government severely limited funding for embryonic stem-cell
research just three years after it was initiated in 1998. As a result, state
funding is vitally important to fill this financial void. Recently,
California, New Jersey, Connecticut and others have recognized that this is
an urgent state issue and have provided funding. New York must do the same
in order to retain our most talented scientists and their laboratories.
State funding will help guarantee that New York does not lose the scientific
base so essential to our prestigious medical institutions, our health care
system and our economy.
LINDA HERMAN