SMALL  TOWN
BY
TERRIE W.  STARR

One of the nicest  aspects of growing up in a small town, as an adult, is in
knowing practically  everyone in town.  One of the worst  aspects of growing
up in a small town, as a child, is that practically everyone  in the town knew
me.  That also  meant that practically everyone knew my parents.  This known
fact meant that I couldn't  get away with anything because somebody that knew
my family would always be  watching me.  My parents warned me  that no matter
what I did, no matter where I was, they would find out about  it.  Those
weren't just idle threats  either. It took me far too long to finally realize that
they were right.  Wherever I was, whatever I was doing, if  it was wrong, you
can bet that before nightfall, our telephone would start  ringing with A
well-meaning friend of my parents calling to tell on me.
Is this what Hilary meant in her book,  “It Takes a Village to Raise a Child”
?  My villagers sure had their eyes on me.  Those same eyes were on me as I
grew up,  moved away, married and moved back home to start my family.  They
were still on me when I divorced,  enrolled in college and when I developed
Parkinson’s  disease.
One has to take the  good with the bad in a small town that knows you.  No
one in my small hometown had ever  seen a young person with Parkinson’s disease.
 But then, neither had I.  If they had, they didn't recognize it  because its
“look” can be very deceiving.  There wasn't anyone to compare me to.  There
was only “Old Man Dodd”.  All who knew him referred to his shaking  palsy as “
Saint Vitas Dance”.  His  movements were erratic and jerky, causing his head
to move in peculiar ways and  his arms and legs to “dance” out of control.
We all knew to get the hell out of his  way, and fast, if we saw him driving
down the road in his old, black Edsel.  He drove much like he walked, with the
same kind of “dancing” down the road.  He would weave from one side of the
road to the other. Often, he would  end up either on the sidewalk or in someone’
s bushes.  No one knew, at the time, that he and I  actually were suffering
from the same disease.   Until my small town and I became  better educated,
there would be whispers behind my back – “She is on drugs, I  hear”.  “Does she
have a drinking  problem?” and sometimes, not so quietly, “She must be  nuts!”

It took a  while for us all to become educated in the different “faces” of
Parkinson’s  disease.  We fear that which we do  not understand.  The comfort
level,  for me, in my hometown, is that everybody knew me  “before”.
Small town living has  its blessings, too.  In 1993, I  underwent the first
of several brain surgeries to alleviate worsening symptoms  of Parkinson’s
disease.  I was on  every prayer list in every church in the county.  I received
hundreds of get well cards  from Sunday school classes I never attended and
from people I knew only by their  family name.
The local people  couldn't spell or pronounce Pallidotomy nor could they
explain the benefits it  would provide for me.  They cared  for me enough to pray
for me, though, because I was one of theirs.  They cared enough to educate
themselves  through local newspaper articles written about me and by me.  Once
they had seen its “face” and could  give it a name, Parkinson’s disease, I
could return to who I always was behind  the mask, ME.
I live in  a different small town now and have a different name, Terrie
Starr.  In many ways, it is much like my  hometown.  I feel the stares and  hear
the whispers behind my back. At times I feel like an alien.  I understand the
stares and whispers  though...  The people in this small  town didn't know me “
before”… They know only what they see now.  I guess they do not know the many
faces  of Parkinson’s disease. Maybe I should introduce myself.