 Regarding: http://members.aol.com/apdaypd/young/pdkids.htm

This listserv for kids was the created by the American Parkinson Disease Association Young Onset Center and is no longer in existence.  It was in place for about 3 years, however, traffic on it was quite minimal—even though no adults were allowed to be members  (to encourage kids to “speak” freely), and the only adult monitor was the Coordinator of the YOPD Center. Simon Coles from the UK was the administrator of the listserv.  Although we agree that a place to dialogue is important for children who live in a family with PD, it did not seem that this type of vehicle was serving the purpose for which it was intended.  Perhaps efforts to educate school social workers, pediatricians, clergy and others to whom children may confide or ask questions would be more effective in providing support.

We also offer the free booklet, “My Mommy Has PD…But It’s Ok!”which was written for a third grade reading level, but can also be used as a read-aloud book for younger children or as a vehicle for opening discussion about PD with children.

As always, we appreciate feedback and suggestions on this topic or any area where we can help improve the quality of life and help meet the challenges of YOPD.

Susan Reese

Susan Reese, MA, RN, LCSW
Coordinator
American Parkinson Disease Association
Young-Onset Information & Referral Center
2100 Pfingsten Road, Room B100
Glenview, IL 60026
847-657-5787
800-223-9776