Of course, iron is a very essential nutrient for us.  Hemoglobin, the primary
ingredient in red blood cells, is iron-based.  Dr. John Grinstein, in his
approach to PD, has recommended eating liver.  (Personally, I enjoy liver, but
the thought of eating such a dirty organ bothers me.)  My wife, the PD patient
in the family, eats liver on a semi-regular basis.  The iron does not seem to
effect her, either way.  An anecdote about iron consumption: My family (not my
wife's) is from northern Wisconsin, where the most outstanding element in our
drinking water was iron.  One could see it, taste it, and smell it.  I know of
just one blood relative in six generations who developed PD, and he was one
who lived further south and did *not* have iron in his drinking water.
(Actually, he had a myriad of health problems, beginning in his forties.)  All
other lifestyle factors notwithstanding, it doesn't seem that iron had a
causative effect for PD in my family--and we had a great deal of exposure to
it.  Then, too, my family tended to drink milk and beer more often than water.
 Wisconsin, after all....   Scott

>===== Original Message From Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
>I've wondered about iron - just before developing PD symptoms I took iron
>tablets for anemia (due to heavy menstruation) - miscalculated the dosage for
>while.  There might be a connection, or just coincidence of timing.

Scott E. Antes
Department of Anthropology
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5200