Agreed.  The variables are simply too numerous for us to draw conclusions
about what professions might be more conducive to PD.  Exposure to certain
chemical elements might indeed be a major factor, as might be personality.
Lifestyles, life experience, and genetics certainly are additional important
factors to be considered--all in combination.  As a scientist, I prefer data
to anecdote, but when someone mentioned welders and manganese exposure, I
could not help but think of my dad, who was a professional welder some 50
years.  No PD.  If he ever knew of a fellow welder (being in the Pipefitters
Union, he knew hundreds) that became afflicted with PD, he never told me.
Having spent over three decades in industry and manufacturing myself, I also
have known hundreds of welders personally, and have known none who came to
suffer from PD.  But, that could be coincidental, rather than the rule.  Plus,
since I've been in education the past ten years, I have no way of knowing
which of them might have PD today.  Even if I did, the data are so variable
and inconclusive that their analysis often results in speculation, not fact.
Still, we keep trying.  Maybe "A" or "B" are irrelevant, especially when "C"
or "D" is a factor.  But mybe "A", "F", "Q" and "Z" together do add up to
something significant.  That's why all of your contributions are so valuable.
Thanks.  Scott

>===== Original Message From Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
>Unfortunately, you can't necessarily jump to conclusions about
>what causes higher rates of PD in certain professions.  It may
>not be ovious, and it may be wrong even if it is obvious.  If so,
>you end up spending scarce resources controlling A, which is not
>really related to the disease, when you might have actually
>accomplished something by controlling B.
>
>In the case of PD, there appear to be higher than expected
>occurrence among physicians, dentists, farmers, teachers,
>lawyers, scientists, and religion-related jobs.  It is hard to
>see the common element here, unless it is related to personality.
>(Reference:  Goldman SM, et al, Occupation and parkinsonism in
>three movement disorders clinics.  Neurology. 2005 Nov
>8;65(9):1430-5.)

Scott E. Antes
Department of Anthropology
Northern Arizona University