>> Ingested manganese is an essential nutrient. There is very
>> little evidence of adverse neurological effects of ingested
>> manganese.
>

> it could be risky:
>
> http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/60/11/1761

Before drawing any conclusions, one would want to know more about
these populations and, in particular, what led some of them to
consume a lot more iron and manganese than the rest.  Was there
something about their sociological or other lifestyle
characteristics that would occur disproportionately among people
in this area who consume larger amounts of iron and manganese
than others?

While I don't have the full article, the abstract does not
mention controlling for other variables, not even smoking and
alcohol consumption (known to be related to PD risk) or
correcting for multiple comparisons (where testing a large number
of variables can lead to false positives.)