Information on Complementary and Alternative Medicine in US Government
Databases Is Biased

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/533527?src=mp
Posted 06/09/2006
Wallace Sampson, MD
If you were to investigate an anomalous medical method (an "alternative and
complementary medicine") for a patient, for a research paper, or for your own
education, you would probably turn to governmental sources. These include the
National Institutes of Health's www.healthfinder.gov, NIH's National Center
on Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), and the National Library
of Medicine's Medline/PubMed. If you expected to find an objective set of
references, you would be mistaken.
www.healthfinder.gov links to trade and unscientific occupational
organizations, and presents anomalous methods in a "neutral" light. It
contains minimal cautionary, negative information. When www.quackwatch.com's
director pointed this out and requested its own listing, healthfinder
rejected the requests, and also removed the National Council Against Health
Fraud from its links.[1,2]
NCCAM informational pages also refer inquiries to special interest
organizations and unscientific occupational guilds. Despite the fact that no
"CAM" method has been proved effective and large numbers of them are
disproved, NCCAM does not link or refer to a critical organization.
The National Library of Medicine's PubMed reference base contains over 30
"CAM"-oriented and diet supplement-sponsored journals choked with
misinformation and erroneous commentary, and another 70 journals listed as
publishing "CAM" material. No critical journal is indexed or abstracted on
Medline/PubMed.[3]
These agencies' directors maintain that their selection methods are
appropriate, despite the fact that their recommendations produce biased and
erroneous information. Directors refuse to change their methods. Will
physicians and academics press for changes? I hope so.
That's my opinion. I'm Dr. Wallace Sampson, Member of the MedGenMed Editorial
Board.