> Just to let you know, manganese oxide (in powder form)
> is a glaze ingredient used by potters. I have worked alot with
> clay and used to use as a colourant on clay sculptures. I would
> drop an arbitrary amount of powder into water and then dip a
> sponge into this solution to dab onto fired clay. The material
> data sheet clearly states that it can be absorbed directly
> through
> the skin into the nervous system. This fact has caused some
> potters to stop using it.
>
> I do not have pd but always wonder if using it has put me at
> risk.

I have not done a study of the literature, but, as a precaution,
it can't hurt to stop using it.  Toxicologically, dermal
absorption is very different from ingestion.  With ingestion, the
digestive tract functions to control the degree of absorption
into the blood.  With dermal absorption, it goes directly into
the blood.

> Juut as an aside, my mother did have pd and most of her adult
> life
> craved liver which of course is high in iron. Is there any
> correlation
> to iron-rich diet from organ meets and pd?

The study cited by Maryse (attached to your message) purports to
show a correlation.  However, it is unclear what other variables
were controlled and what lead to the high intake levels of iron
and managanese.  See my other comments below.

As is frequently the case with this sort of study, we do not know
whether the high intakes played a role in causing the disease or
whether, alternatively, a predisposition to PD caused the craving
for liver, or whether some other factor palyed a role in causing
both.

Therefore, we can't say that your mother would have been better
off to resist her craving.  We just don't know.