Linda  Thanks for the recommendation.  I love a good mystery, and then I can
pass it along to friends so they can walk a mile in my shoes.  PS  your name
always lets me know that good info is contained.  Thks again, Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: book review

I'd like to recommend a new book, "Shaker Guy," by first-time author,
Evan C. Henry. This is a mystery/ political suspense novel whose main
character is a young onset PWP, as is Evan Henry. The book is
impressive on many levels.

As a mystery, it is a page-turner. I literally could not put it down
and finished reading it in 2 days.  The book also provides an honest,
vivid and emotional account of what it is like to live with PD
everyday. It is often like looking at yourself in the mirror.  The
plot  revolves around current political controversies on stem cell
research, and the ethics of the pharmaceutical industry. It also
touches on the current situation of GDNF research – all  subjects of
great interest to many PWP.

Here is a short description of the plot from the book’s back cover:

“Guy Hopkins’ neurologist could have driven off a bridge on any other
morning and Guy’s life would have stayed the same, a middle-aged
history professor fighting daily with the increasing debilitation of
PD. But that morning, as Guy witnesses the break-in at the dead
doctor’s office, he is thrust headlong into an intrigue of secret
medical files, secret patient identities and secret politics of
Washington DC at the highest level. …
Against the backdrop of stem cell politics, Parkinson’s research and
the mysterious death of his neurologist, Guy finds new strength and
hope for his life with or without Parkinson’s disease.”

If you like a good mystery – you will enjoy this book. Warning : Do
not peek at the end of the book —you’ll be rewarded by the full
effect of  a true surprise ending!

Linda Herman
For more about the book and the author, see the Shaker Guy website at:
http://www.shakerguy.com