The Stem Cell Enhancement Act will be done as a 3 bill package S471 with
S2754 (ASCR. ANT and gene biopsy)and S3504 (Fetal Farming).  it is so
important to please Brownback and Santorum.  GRRRR

Tricky, huh???
Ray

Jun 29, 2006 - By Joanne Kenen
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Nearly a year after Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist
made his surprise endorsement of a bill to allow federally backed stem cell
research, he has whittled down many obstacles to Senate passage, senators
and aides said on Thursday.
The Tennessee Republican, a potential presidential candidate and a
physician, says research on cells derived from human embryos leftover from
fertility treatments has vast potential to treat deadly diseases.
Many of his fellow anti-abortion conservatives, however, oppose the research
because the embryos are destroyed. Frist has said he would like the Senate
to vote as early as next month, although President George W. Bush has vowed
to veto it.
Despite the veto threat, the U.S. House of Representatives approved a stem
cell bill last year. Frist embraced the House bill but has not brought it to
a Senate vote, in part because of objections from such conservatives as
Oklahoma Republican Tom Coburn, also a doctor.
"I'm an obstacle," Coburn said recently. "I don't know if I'm the only
obstacle but I'm an obstacle." His spokesman said on Thursday that Coburn
had not changed his position.
Two other strongly anti-abortion Republican senators, Sam Brownback of
Kansas and Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, say they will no longer block a
Senate vote, even though both of them will vote against the House-passed
bill.
Their changed stance allowed Frist to simplify his task. Instead of trying
to strike a deal involving six complex bills on stem cells and cloning, he
is now addressing a simpler three-bill package, two of which are less
controversial than the House stem cell bill.
One would ban "fetal farming," or implantation of embryos into women for the
purpose of harvesting cells or tissue. The other would promote more research
into ways of using stem cells without destroying an embryo.
"I'm OK with a vote on the three bill package," Brownback said.
An aide to Santorum said, "The senator is not attempting to block
consideration of (the House-passed embryonic stem cell bill) although he
opposes the bill and expects the president to veto it."
Copyright 2006 Reuters News Service.