Susan, thank you SO MUCH for sharing this news with us!  I think that
the 3M Teaching Fellowships are so important and are such an
honor--and I'm so grateful to you for that moving statement of
teaching philosophy, which helps to clarify what it means for
students and teachers to work on their writing at the post-secondary
level (esp. for the many who think that all "teaching of writing"
should be over and done with in high school--though they would never
say that about reading, thinking or learning!)

Gorgeous photo too, by the way!

When you meet the other fellows in the fall, though I'm sure they're
all fantastic, I want to put in a special word for my colleague David
Kahane (in Philosophy--I wrote a supporting letter for his 3M file
this past year).  He has been an incredible force for good on our
campus and helped to bring our current Writing Task Force into
being--I'm sure you and he would enjoy each other and would have a
lot to talk about (and I'd love for him to meet another Inkshedder,
esp. one who is  in his 3M "class"!).  How I would love to be a fly
on the wall in November to hear the discussions on teaching and
learning all of you will be having.

Would you be willing for me to forward the link for your teaching
philosophy to the entire U of Alberta Writing Task Force?  It's such
a beautifully written, powerful statement about the role writing
plays in our collaborative intellectual life and the time and effort
it requires--we'd find it most useful to pass that along to the Dean
and the Provost as they ponder, in the next few weeks, whether or not
to fund our recommendations (in fact, I might ask David Kahane to do
it--he now has even more clout on campus than he did before!).

Thanks again, Susan--I knew that David Kahane's award had been
announced, but I hadn't visited the website and I really appreciated
having that live link and being able to see information on all the 3M
fellows.  Modesty or immodesty has nothing to do with it--writing and
inkshedding need to be seen on the national stage right up there
along with math, chemistry, philosophy, etc. as crucial to
postsecondary education and your presence in that illustrious group
is doing something so important for all of us in Inkshed.  I'm so
grateful!  Best, Betsy