Diane Wysak is the person who finds this stuff.  I may have inadvertently
cut it off as I didn't know enough about it.  My, what hoops we PWP have to
jump though to get help! Ray
----- Original Message -----
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: Amgen lawsuits

-- rayilynlee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The People vs. Amgen

Clinical trial participants rarely sue pharma companies for
discontinuing an unsafe drug. Here's what happened when two such
cases were brought to court.....

Thanks Ray for posting the article "The People vs Amgen" from
Pharmaceutical Executive. It appears the second half of  the article
was cut off. I'll try to repost it. Also the full text is available
at:
http://www.pharmexec.com/pharmexec/article/articleDetail.jsp?
id=333300&pageID=1

My comments on the article:
The pharmaceutical industry may consider the judge's decision
against further GDNF treatment to be a victory - but it was a defeat
not only for the trial participants, but for all PWP. We have all
been robbed of a potential effective and safe treatment, that might
have been well into phase III trials by now. The article described
the legal aspects of this case, but didn't touch on the medical and
ethical issues.  The Parkinson's Pipeline Project and the GrassRoots
Connection have been following the GDNF controversy since the trial
halt. The following important facts were omitted from the
Pharmaceutical Executive article

In two Phase I trials of GDNF conducted by the University of Kentucky
and Frenchay Hospital in Bristol, UK, 15 out of 15 subjects improved.
Two years later improvements continued.

An autopsy of one of these subjects who died of unrelated causes
revealed resprouting of neurons in the area treated with GDNF, the
first time evidence of  such regrowth has been reported.

The published Phase II results supporting Amgen's claim of  lack of
efficacy have been questioned and described as 'inconclusive " by a
number  by  independent scientists, as well as trial doctors.

The fact that the phase II trial utilized a lower dose of GDNF  and a
different catheter system made it impossible to meaningfully compare
the two trials.  Parkinson's researchers have recommended that
another phase II/phase III trial should be conducted. Even Amgen's
own scientists had advised they continue on to a phase III trial.

The FDA had approved compassionate use of GDNF for the existing trial
patients - but Amgen refused to supply it.

Although Amgen made numerous PR statements about safety concerns such
as the presence of antibodies in some subjects and cerebellar lesions
in a small number of test monkeys, they have still not released their
scientific data to prove these claims.  However, other researchers
have published research articles showing no evidence of serious side
effects among human or primate subjects treated with GDNF.

The lesions in monkeys were likely due to abrupt withdrawal from
extremely high doses of GDNF - much higher than the doses given to
any of the human subjects.

Other methods of GDNF delivery are being currently investigated, such
as gene therapy or stem cells,  but they are years away from clinical
use. The current GDNF clinical trial participants will  probably not
be eligible for other trials if any become available. In effect, they
have donated their brains to science, while they are still alive.

The article claims that FDA regulations  "mandate that the study
investigators must obtain the informed consent of each human subject
to whom the drug will be administered, and that they are responsible
for protecting the rights, safety, and welfare of subjects under
their care."  How could the trial doctors possibly  protect their
subjects' well being when they had no input into the decision to halt
the trial or to provide compassionate use for the participants? This
decision was made unilaterally by Amgen, over the objections of a
number of the trial doctors.

If pharmaceutical companies treat clinical trial volunteers with
little concern for their welfare, the small percentage of patients
who are willing to volunteer  for clinical trials will be even
smaller in the future.
The rights and safety of clinical trial participants need to be
better protected. The Parkinson Pipeline Project is working on a
Trial Participants Bill of Rights to address this issue.

Linda Herman