June 29, 2006

Dear CAMR Friends,

This Fourth of July weekend is a time for celebration.  Not only will we
mark the history of our great nation, but today Senator Frist delivered news
that makes us hopeful for the future as well.

Just this afternoon, Senator Frist announced that the Stem Cell Research
Enhancement Act (H.R. 810) will be brought to the Senate floor for a vote
this year.  He successfully obtained what is called "unanimous consent" from
his Senate colleagues to move forward with a vote on a package of bills that
includes H.R. 810.  The other bills in the package are the Alternative
Pluripotent Stem Cell Therapies Enhancement Act, S. 2754, and the Fetus
Farming Prohibition Act of 2006, S. 3504.  Under the agreement, amendments
will not be permitted and each bill will have a separate vote and will need
at least 60 votes to pass.  While a date has not been set, Senator Frist has
now entered into a formal compact with all of his colleagues in the Senate
that a vote will occur.

We will not be taking a position on the other two bills; our goal is get
H.R. 810 passed.  While the other bills do not raise significant objections
from the scientific community, it is important to stress that they should
not be considered as substitutes for H.R. 810.  It is a vote for H.R. 810,
and this bill alone, that will move stem cell research forward in our
country.

Of course, we need your help now more than ever.  Our fight in the Senate is
not over until H.R. 810 passes with at least 60 votes.  Please pick up the
phone today to call your Senators and ask them to vote in favor of H.R. 810
when the Senate takes up the bill.  Make them understand that you will not
accept any substitutes or alternative bills and that the only vote you will
accept is one in favor of H.R. 810.