Fetal farming must be stopped before it starts says Brownback:

Is Fetal Farming The Next Debate About Medicine In The 21st Century

A bill before the US Senate has broad support in the senate but has yet to
receive a vote because senators have been unable to agree on ground rules
for debate.
by Todd Zwillich
Washington (UPI) Apr 28, 2006
Lawmakers opposing embryonic stem cell research are preparing to offer a new
proposal banning the harvesting of tissue from advanced embryos or fetuses,
United Press International has learned.
The proposal, which is yet to be drafted into a bill, would ban scientists
from using any tissue that comes from an embryo of a legally determined age.
Lawmakers have not yet agreed what that age will be. But Rep. David Weldon,
R-Fla., suggested it would likely be set at 14 days after conception.
The bill would join a host of other research ethics bills awaiting Senate
debate. Last May, the House passed a bill lifting a White House ban on
federal funding of research using human embryonic stem cells.
That bill has broad support in the senate but has yet to receive a vote
because senators have been unable to agree on ground rules for debate. Stem
cell research supporters want to debate the House bill alone, while
opponents have demanded that the senate also take up bills banning stem cell
research, cloning, research on human-animal hybrids, and other issues.
Weldon said in an interview that he's making the proposal in an effort to
win over senators who don't support banning stem cell research.
"I can't get the votes in the Senate, so I may as well try this," said
Weldon, who is a physician. "I think it's a pretty clear issue that we don't
want to be experimenting on fetuses."
Researchers have pegged embryonic stem cells as a promising method of tissue
engineering that could help cure degenerative illnesses like Parkinson's
disease and diabetes. Some religious groups oppose the research because it
requires the destruction of a human embryo, which many consider tantamount
to abortion.
Several states, including Maryland, California, and Massachusetts, now have
laws funding stem cell research. But a federal policy established by
President Bush in August 2001 limited government funding to research on 77
stem cell lines that already existed at the time.
Many scientists decried the ruling, arguing that the lines are of poor
quality and suffer from contamination.
Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan, the Senate's leading opponent of embryonic stem
cell research, said that researchers are not yet attempting to create
fetuses for the sake of extracting tissue, a prospect he described in an
interview as "ghastly".
"I want to stop it before it starts," he said.
It remains unclear whether the Senate will debate stem cell legislation
before the mid-term elections in November. Brownback's opponents on the
issue dismissed the proposal as an attempt to cloud debate on embryonic stem
cell research, which enjoys broad public backing.
In an interview, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, a pro-life lawmaker who supports
the studies, said his senate bill expanding stem cell research already
contains language limiting cell extractions to embryos.
Hatch repeated claims that his bill has the 60 votes needed to stave off
delaying tactics from opponents. "They can't win on the stem cell issue, so
they want to try to muddy it up and peel people off," he said.
Source: United Press International