is supposed to be 12 hours of debate.  Ray
Brownback Welcomes Stem Cell Vote Agreement
Welcomes Senate debate and vote on three bioethics bills in July
Friday, June 30, 2006
WASHINGTON - U.S. Senator Sam Brownback today welcomed a bipartisan Senate
agreement that paves the way for up-or-down votes in July on three stem cell
and bioethics bills.
"I welcome this debate on bioethics and stem cells and I look forward to
making the case for successful, ethical, and non-controversial adult stem
cell research," said Brownback. "Today we have derived over 70 peer-reviewed
and published medical treatments from adult stem cell research, while the
outlook of embryonic stem cell research is speculative. The federal
government should not commit taxpayer dollars to morally wrong embryonic
stem cell research when ethical adult stem cell research is delivering real
medical treatments. Some of the very treatments promised by proponents of
stem cell research are actually being delivered by adult stem cells."
After a specified period of debate the Senate will hold consecutive votes on
three bills: S.3504, the Santorum-Brownback Fetus Farming Prohibition Act,
S.2754, the Santorum-Specter Alternative Pluripotent Stem Cell Therapies
Enhancement Act, and H.R.810, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act,
sponsored by Rep. Mike Castle (R-DE).
Brownback continued, "I am opposed to H.R.810 because it would require
taxpayers to fund the destruction of young human lives. It has never been
acceptable to use human beings as means to an end, even if that end is
scientific research. I hope to see passage of the Fetus Farming Prohibition
Act, which would prohibit the gruesome practice of initiating human
pregnancies in either women or animal uteruses for the purpose of obtaining
human tissues for research."
Embryonic stem cell research requires the destruction of human embryos and
is moving in the direction of human cloning, while adult stem cell research
involves the uncontroversial practice of taking stem cells from one's own
body or from a newborn's umbilical cord blood.
Senator Brownback is a member of the Judiciary Committee and Appropriations
Committee.