CAMR Statement to the Media on Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act
29 minutes ago
To: National Desk
Contact: Sarah Youngerman, 651-485-7171; Sean Tipton, 202-421-5112, both of
CAMR
WASHINGTON, June 29 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following statement may be
attributed to Sean Tipton, president, Coalition for the Advancement of
Medical Research (CAMR):
"CAMR applauds Senate Majority Leader Frist (R-TN) for his exemplary
leadership in bringing HR 810, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, to
the Senate floor for consideration. We are pleased to have this legislation
debated in the Senate at long last, and we look forward to Senator Frist
scheduling a vote before the August recess. CAMR will also continue our
solid working relationship with the Senators who have been long- standing
supporters of the bill and the stem cell research issue.
"When the vote is scheduled, we look forward to strong bipartisan passage of
the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, with no amendments and no
alternatives, just as we saw in the House on May 24, 2005. Nearly
three-quarters of Americans support federal funding for embryonic stem cell
research, and seventy percent want the Senate to vote 'yea' on the Stem Cell
Research Enhancement Act. Within the month, Americans will know where their
senators stand on advancing stem cell science.
"With Senate passage of this legislation, we will be one step closer to
America moving forward as a leader on the important research that will have
a positive impact on the health, hope and well-being of more than 100
million Americans with cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, spinal cord
injuries, diabetes, and other debilitating diseases and disorders."
---
The Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR) (Web:
http://camradvocacy.org/members.aspx )is the nation's leading pro-cures
coalition. It is comprised of nationally recognized patient organizations,
universities, scientific societies, and foundations advocating for the
advancement of breakthrough research and technologies in regenerative
medicine - - including stem cell research and somatic cell nuclear
transfer -- in order to cure disease and alleviate suffering for individuals
with life-threatening illnesses and disorders.
http://www.usnewswire.com/
-0-
/© 2006 U.S. Newswire 202-347-2770