A few of you, like me, are confused about this issue.  Here is what I think I know:  What do you know about it?

Brownback's and Santorum's S3504 the fetal
farms prohibition won't hurt because there are none and no scientist
proposes growing fetal tissue for research.  It's a meaningless kind of "elephant insurance" sop to their base.   Protection of embryos S2754 is for  ASCR, ANT and gene biopsy.  S2754 also contains $ for ASCR I think.

The problem as I understand it  is that all 3 bills have to be passed and some of the religious right oppose altered nuclear transfer where an embryo is disabled and prevented from implanting and gene biopsy takes a
cell like in IVF and what do you do with the embryos that are not destroyed
by either of these 2 processes?.  Also "getting around the destruction of embryos opposition" is very new research.

Frist had to get unanimous consent  to bring it up, but Senator Coburn, the one senator who opposes compromise has dropped his opposition to letting it come to a vote, which requires 60 votes and they have 65 or 67.

Guess we'll have to wait till the
Senate returns at 2PM July 10 from their vacation.
They are not going to make it easy for us.  S471 only applies to leftover IVF
embryos, it doesn't cover SCNT
If the package passes Bush will no doubt veto S471 as he has promised.
I guess a crumb is a "victory".  Not in our lifetimes, but someday in the future science will prevail.  Galileo had to wait several centuries  for a posthumas apology and vindication.  Who are we to expect so much?
Ray