Bob Johnson has provided a simplifiefd explanation of the research that John C just posted:

Ray-- I am astounded by what Eckmen and Van Kampen are reporting about endogenous neurogenesis in rats and the possibility that it could lead to a regenerative treatment for PD in the short run. If I understand the report correctly they are saying rats afflicted with a 6-hydroxydopamine model of PD and treated by direct infusion of  7-OH-DPAT into their brain ventricles for a number of weeks in order to keep their D3 receptors stimulated resulted in significant restoration of the rats substantia nigra? And...

  "These findings are very exciting for several reasons. Being able to
  stimulate endogenous stem cells in patients would alleviate the need for
  transplantation of engineered cells, and as a drug therapy, it would be also
  easy to administer to patients. Moreover, given that similar drugs exist,
  medicinal chemistry to maximize this effect could be achieved quickly," says
  Diane Murphy, Ph.D., the NINDS program director for the grant that funded
  this research."
This is too good to be true. Juxtaposed with your earlier post about NIH
funding cuts it is almost painful