Hi, Ray,

Maybe I should introduce myself before answering your question.  I'm 55
years old, was diagnosed with PD over 10 years ago, and of course I had
plenty of symptoms for years before that.  I've been a member of this forum
for about 10 years, mainly as a lurker.  I was an electronics engineer until
I retired in December of 2004.  The prescription drugs I generally take too
much of are Sinemet 25/100, Tasmar and Mirapex.

Later today I plan to introduce my body to 1 mg per day of Azilect.  I've
been having some fluctuations (unpredictable on-offs) with my current mix so
I'm hoping that the addition of this new drug will smooth things out for me.

Getting to your question,

What's in a name?

The drug I believe you're referring to is Aricept (donepezil).  The new drug
for PD is Azilect (rasagiline).  It's pretty amazing how close these names
are to each other.  I'll bet there will be lots of confusion from this for a
long time to come.

Aricept is used for the treatment of mild to moderate dementia in
Alzheimer's Disease.

Azilect is used for the treatment of Parkinson's Disease. The drug is a
monoamine oxidase type-B (MAO-B) inhibitor that slows the breakdown of
dopamine within the brain.

Azilect was approved for use with Parkinson's Disease by the FDA on May 17,
2006.  Apparently it takes a few months from the FDA approval date for a
pharmaceutical company to actually get a new drug packaged and distributed
to the retail pharmacies.  It's a monomine oxidase inhibitor (MAO-B) similar
to selegiline (Eldepryl, Deprenyl) but it does not break down in the body to
amphetamine.  Here's the link to the FDA's press release.

www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2006/NEW01373.html

I know 2 people who have been importing Azilect from Canada.  They both
claim that the drug is helping them considerably.

I'm guessing that there are a lot of people out there holding prescriptions
for Azilect.  I'm still waiting for my prescription to be filled.  The
latest info I have is that it should be ready for me at about 11AM today
(Saturday).  The pharmacist said that their main wholesaler has already
exhausted its initial stock and the pharmacy will be getting it from an
alternate supplier.

Warren