Dear Editor:

There are 9 effective adult stem cell treatments, not 70 as Jennifer Clark of The Center for Arizona Policy claims.  The sudden big push for adult stem cell research after 40 years, is a ruse to promote a religious agenda which is about the only thing about it that has been successful.

On this phoney cures list is Dennis Turner, who received his own brain cells to treat his Parkinson's disease.  He enjoyed  a 4-5 year reprieve from symptoms, but when I talked to him on 4-24-06 he confirmed that his PD had returned with a vengeance and that his Dr. Levesque's Phase II experiment was stalled.  Senator Sam Brownback still used his photo on the Senate floor during  the debate this week.

While nobody who supports embryonic stem cell research  opposes adult stem cell research, we are hurt when non-scientists like Clark,  who represent tax deductible religious based organizations such as The Center for Arizona Policy, mislead the public to promote a religious agenda.

If embryonic stem cell research is immoral it shouldn't matter which kind, adult or embryonic, is better.  If you think it is unethical don't use it . Jehovah's Witnesses refuse blood transfusions.

As for federal funding, remember we all have to pay for things we don't agree with, like immoral war.  Also, cures are cheaper than disease.

The false assertion that adult SCR is superior to ESCR is simply  a ploy to give  politicians political cover so they won't seem so heartless.  We won't know what works for which disease unless the research is done.

There  is no concomittant cry to outlaw the IVF clinics that produce and routinely discard embryos that just might offer hope to millions.

Why do you think all patient advocacy groups, Nobel Laurettes and reputable researchers support embryonic stem cell research?

Religious leaders have never advanced science and they should not be deciding public policy in a secular nation.

Rayilyn Brown
18507 N. Windfall Dr.
Surprise AZ 85374
623-584-5869