Yes.  Lindenbaum discovered the practice of endocannibalism prior to her book
being published in 1974.  That's over thirty years ago.  No one knew what
prions were yet, but Carlton Gadjusek (who got credit for just about
everything related to kuru) did find out that kuru was a spongey brain
disease.  Once the link between infected CNS consumption and kuru was obvious,
Gadjusek had a trial done on chimps.  Sure enough, the chimps that ate
infected tissue developed kuru.  (For anyone who's not familiar, "kuru"
basically means "tremble or fear."  A kuru victim does resemble a PD patient
who's never had meds.  The Fore were convinced that kuru was caused by
sorcery, like every other malady.  When the Australian government cracked down
on endocannibalism, kuru rates plummeted.)  Scott

>===== Original Message From Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
>   I had  FWD your message regarding  the subject to my son as a point
>of interest.   He replied back :
>
>"You know, Richard Toth told  me years ago (20? years ago)  that
>cannibals in New Guinea are dying because they'd eat the infected brains
>of humans and get spongy brain disease.  Interesting....  very
>interesting.

Scott E. Antes
Department of Anthropology
Northern Arizona University