Bev, I might have missed something here so forgive.    I'm interested in
your reaction to this letter.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Beverly Bashe" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:50 PM
Subject: Fw: Response to your recent comments

> Prior to the vote on HR 810, I contacted my Florida senators asking for
their support on this important bill.  Below is the response from Sen.
Martinez, who, btw, voted against HR 810.

> Bev Bashe

hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns.

> Stem cells are an important and promising element of medical research
because they provide the opportunity to study the growth and differentiation
of individual cells into tissues. Understanding these processes could
provide insights into some of the most troubling problems we face in
healthcare including birth defects, genetic abnormalities, spinal cord
injuries, and many diseases, such as diabetes, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

> My position on this sensitive issue is shaped by deeply held beliefs. I
firmly believe that the sanctity of life is a critical characteristic of a
strong nation, and I am devoted to fostering and encouraging respect for
life in America. I am also a strong supporter of medical research and
believe we must continue to advance research that holds the promise of
providing cures to debilitating diseases that affect millions of people all
over the world.

> I support maintaining federal funding for stem cell research when it is
done using adult or animal stem cells, as well as stem cells taken from an
umbilical cord or placenta. While we must devote great energy and resources
to conquering disease, it is equally important to pay attention to the moral
concerns raised by this new frontier.

> On July 18, 2006 the Senate voted on three very important stem cell bills.
I supported the Alternative Pluripotent Stem Cell Therapies Enhancement Act
(S. 2754), which would support research on these flexible, embryonic-like
stem cells without the creation, destruction, or harming of human embryos.
S. 2754 passed without opposition by a vote of 100 to 0.

> I also supported the Fetus Farming Prohibition Act (S. 3504), prohibiting
the gestation of a human embryo in a female or animal, solely for the
purpose of research. This piece of legislation passed without opposition by
a vote of 100 to 0.

> I opposed the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act (H.R. 810), because it
would require the Federal government to support embryonic stem cell research
that destroys human embryos. H.R. 810, which passed in the House of
Representatives on May 24, 2005, by a vote of 238 to 194, was passed by the
Senate with a vote of 63 to 37. This measure was sent to President Bush, and
he vetoed it on July 19, 2005. To override this veto, a two-thirds majority
vote will be required from both the House and Senate chambers.

> The complex issue of research involving stem cells derived by human
embryos is one of the most profound of our time. I will continue to seek a
balance between promoting medical research and protecting the sanctity of
life.

> Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. If you have any
additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. In
addition, for more information about issues and activities important to
Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at
http://martinez.senate.gov.

> Sincerely,
>
> Mel Martinez
> United States Senator
>

> **Note: PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL. If you would like to reply to
this message, please contact me through my website at
http://martinez.senate.gov.

mailto:[log in to unmask]