-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Reminder: 2 CFPs related to medieval and renaissance
performance (9/15 deadline)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:49:01 -0400
From: jill stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

CFP: Where do we find new evidence for medieval performance studies?
(09/15/06; Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, 05/10-05/13/07)

and

CFP: Performance and Physical Memory (09/15/06; International Medieval
Congress, Leeds, UK, 07/09-07/12/07)

Expanding Our Resources: Where do we find new evidence for medieval
performance studies?

2007 International Congress on Medieval Studies
Kalamazoo, Michigan
May 10-13, 2007

This panel seeks papers from scholars who are using unconventional and/or
nontraditional evidence to investigate and theorize medieval performance.
The panel hopes to highlight interdisciplinary research and to include
papers that challenge traditional categories and modes of analysis. We are
particularly seeking papers that argue for new ways of identifying
performance in the Middle Ages. All national traditions, medieval periods,
and genres of performance are welcome as topics. Although all abstracts are
welcome, we particularly encourage scholars who have never before presented
at the Congress on Medieval Studies at Kalamazoo or on a Medieval and
Renaissance Drama Society panel to submit abstracts. You can find more
information about the congress at Kalamazoo at
http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/

One-page abstracts should be submitted to Jill Stevenson at
[log in to unmask] by September 15th. Please include your contact
information and any AV requests with your abstract. Feel free to email Jill
if you have any questions.

Please feel free to forward this call to other lists. I apologize for any
repeat postings.

Performance and Physical Memory
International Medieval Congress in Leeds
July 9-12, 2007

Although often described as ephemeral, a performance leaves traces of
itself
in many different places—the bodies of actors and spectators; the cities,
structures, and landscapes where it is staged; and, the physical evidence
that remains as “proof,” or suggestion, of the event. This panel seeks work
that considers how Medieval and/or Renaissance performances linger as
physical memories, both for Medieval and Renaissance communities and for
21st-century scholars. The panel is particularly interested in
interdisciplinary scholarship that explores new definitions of performance
and memory, and that employs unique theoretical approaches. The theme for
the 2007 conference is Medieval Cities. Papers should incorporate this
theme
into their topics in some way.

The 2007 International Medieval Congress in Leeds, England will take place
from July 9-12. You can find more information about the congress at
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ims/imc/index.html

--
Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English Drama/
Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W/ Toronto Ontario Canada