REED listserve members:

follows below.

Teaching with the Records of Early English Drama. Ed. Elza C. Tiner.
Studies in Early English Drama 7. Ed. J.A.B. Somerset (University of
Toronto Press, 2006).

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Acknowledgments ix

Abbreviations xi

Introduction    xiii

SECTION I: VITAL EVIDENCE: THEATRE HISTORY

1) The Audience of Early Drama: REED and the Techniques of Historical
Fiction               3

Alexandra F. Johnston

2) Using REED in Teaching the Whitsun Plays of Tudor Chester       14

David Mills

SECTION II: DOCUMENTS IN ACTION: PERFORMANCE PREPARATION

3) 'It's as if I'm really doing research!'            27

Mary A. Blackstone

4) Teaching without Texts: Early English Drama for Performance Studies
Students  48

Margaret Rogerson and Betsy Taylor

5) Using REED Chester for Classroom and Performance       70

Stephen F. Page

SECTION III:  CRITICAL ILLUMINATION: ENGLISH LITERATURE

6) Using Historical Documents in the Literature Classroom: Elizabethan
and Jacobean Church Court Cases     87

Anne Brannen

7) Teaching Poems from Robert Herrick's Hesperides with the Aid of REED
Documents    97

Gloria J. Betcher

SECTION IV: DRAMATIC ACTIVITY: SOCIAL HISTORY

8) The Use of REED Documents in Teaching Early Modern English History
117

Rosalind Conklin Hays

9) 'The husbandry and manage of my house': Teaching Women's Studies from
the Records of Early English Drama Collections        142

Barbara D. Palmer

10) Palaeography in the Undergraduate Drama Class: Teaching the Secret
Life of Documents            154

James Stokes

SECTION V: ENTERTAINING RECORDS: LANGUAGE HISTORY

11) REED and Language Teaching      169

Abigail Ann Young

12) Going to HEL:  REED and Diachronic Linguistics           176

Elza C. Tiner

SECTION VI:  REFERENCES

13) Introducing Undergraduates to Documents in REED Collections 197

Rosalind Conklin Hays

REED Collections 211

Works Cited 213

List of Contributors 223

Index 227

Elza C. Tiner

Professor of English

John Mills Turner Distinguished Chair in the

  Humanities

Lynchburg College

Lynchburg, VA 24501 USA

1-434-544-8270