Sorry this is so late, Maryse.  I missed this message.

Yes, of course.  All of these diseases (kuru, C-J, scrapie, Mad Cow) are
spongiform encephalopathies.  The point is that no one at the time--even
once they discovered the connection and the etiology--could put their
fingers on the agent of disease.  They chalked it off to a virus, which is
what many people do when they don't know what else to blame a disease upon.

Scott