Are you being treated with ASCs?  Don investigates and finds their "Experts"
to be religious lobbyists.

# 203 Tuesday, August 1, 2006 - WHERE ARE THE OPPOSITION'S EXPERT
SCIENTISTS?
Have you noticed something strange about the opposition's attacks lately?
They can't seem to find scientists to support their views.
I heard a rumor that the President was unable to find any scientists willing
to back up his anti-research veto, which is perhaps why he held the press
conference in a roomful of babies, unlikely to contradict him.
But seriously, where are the opposition scientists? Have we reached the
point where those who would like to shut us down cannot find any serious
backing for their views?
For example, our local paper ran a letter to the editor, which focused on a
certain ancient advocate:
Dear Editor:
"With all due respect to the Reed family and their trauma over son Roman's
paralysis, I would like to give Don Reed hope from the advances of adult
stem cell research as opposed to using embryonic stem cells that kill an
unborn child.
"The facts are in from several studies: "The University of Louisville
announced that five other laboratories had affirmed the findings of a study
the university released in December 2006 (well, that is the date the letter
mentioned!--dr), that adult stem cells-those that don't require the
destruction of human life-are proving highly valuable in the treatment of
disease."
(So far, so good-nobody I know questions that there is value to be found in
adult stem cells-- but now watch what happens.)
"You can retrieve stem cells from the nasal cavity and inject them into a
person's spinal cord, " said Kimberly Zenarolla, and "they're finding that
these stem cells are actually allowing patients to recover mobility."
(The operation itself may or may not have an adult stem cell connection-I
have been told there are no adult stem cells involved at all-more
importantly, I have talked to two people who have had the operation, and
both are still paralyzed.)
"According to Susan Muskett, "Thousands have been successfully treated with
umbilical cord blood cells for more than 67 diseases.
"Meanwhile, embryonic stem cell successes total zero.
"Therefore, the money allocated for embryonic stem cell research
(Proposition 71) would be better spent on adult and umbilical cord stem cell
research, where there already are proven results and where no human life is
forfeited."
Signed,

Kinds of leaves you wondering where to start answering, huh?
So many non-authentic assertions.
But I did not recognize the names of the "experts" in the article, and
thought maybe I should begin by looking them up.
So I did, and below is what I found.
Dear Editors:
___________'s letter makes claims for adult stem cell research, and
dismisses the embryonic version altogether. She has every right to do so.
It should be noted, however, that the "experts" she cites on this scientific
issue are in fact religious lobbyists.
A quick Google search reveals:
In 2005, Susan Muskett was a paid lobbyist for the National Right to Life
Committee. The website National Council of Catholic Women lists her as
Executive Director, and she was associated with the Christian Coalition,
founded by televangelist Pat Robertson.
Kimberly Zenarolla is listed as director of strategic development on the
National Pro-Life Action Center, where her bio describes her as "pursuing a
Masters in Theology."
As for the ("67 diseases. successfully treated") that is probably the
discredited list* concocted by David Prentice of the Family Research
Council, one of the most influential political action arms of the Religious
Right.
Who supports embryonic stem cell research? The American Medical Association,
the National Academy of Sciences, the Association of American
Universities-and, to the best of my knowledge, every major scientific,
medical, and educational organization which has taken a position.
In matters of faith, one's relationship with the Divine should rule.
But if I break an arm, I will go to a hospital, not a church.
Thank you,
Don C. Reed
*"By promoting the falsehood that adult stem cell treatments are already in
general use for 65 diseases and injuries, Prentice and those who repeat his
claims mislead laypeople and cruelly deceive patients."--Clash Over Stem
Cell Research Heats Up", Rick Weiss, Washington Post, July 15, 2006

By Don Reed   www.stemcellbattles.com