Diane Wysak has been hard at work getting stem cell info out to the many
congressional candidates who think this is an important issue.
REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER

Stem cell research hot issue in congressional race
 By Andy Shaw
August 4, 2006 (Last Updated: 5:09 PM) - Embryonic stem cell research is
becoming a hot-button issue in a congressional race in the Chicago area.
State Senator Peter Roskam and Iraq war veteran Tammy Duckworth are seeking
the 6th District Congressional seat to replace Henry Hyde, who is retiring.
It is a race that will help determine who controls Congress.
The Democratic party is fighting to regain control of congress with
political newcomers like Tammy Duckworth, who lost both legs in a rocket
attack on the helicopter she was piloting near Baghdad. But she is running
in predominantly Republican DuPage County against a prominent GOP lawyer and
state senator, Peter Roskam, for the seat that Henry Hyde is retiring from.
The race is considered a toss-up and Duckworth is hoping a presidential veto
of federal funding for embryonic stem cell research might give her an edge.
"When the president, God bless him, vetoed that bill, I wish everybody could
have seen the look on my son's face when we were watching it. It was just
disheartening," said Tom Bowler, Duckworth supporter.
Tom Bowler is a Republican from DuPage County who considers embryonic stem
cell research the best hope for his quadriplegic son Joshua to regain the
use of his arms and legs.
Tammy Duckworth supports federal funding of the research.
Peter Roskam agrees with President Bush that it is morally and ethically
wrong. So Bowler has recorded a phone message to swing voters in the
district in support of Democrat Duckworth.
"Please join Josh and my family in supporting Tammy Duckworth. She
understands," Bowler's message says.
"This is my No. 1 issue and No. 1 priority because it can help my son and a
lot of others down the road," said Bowler.
"It's not going to help me or help me grow new legs in my lifetime but help
the 12 million kids that have autism in their lifetime and that's what this
is about," said Tammy Duckworth, (D)-6th District candidate.
"What we are asked to do is literally take one human life and pit it against
another," said State Sen. Peter Roskam, (R)-6th District candidate.
Roskam led the fight against embryonic stem cell research in the state
senate last year claiming that that adult stem cell research can accomplish
even more without violating ethical and religious principles.
"I think embryonic research then brings into question really a great moral
question that many people struggle with. Let's put the energy where it's
most helpful and most positive," Roskam said.
"We've lived this. Our family and friends have lived this. We've done a lot
of investigations. Both morally, ethically, and we just feel that he's
wrong," said Bowler.
Duckworth is a liberal Democrat. Roskam is a conservative Republican. Both
are raising tons of money from their respective parties. Roskam is trying to
connect Duckworth with the alleged corruption in governor Blagojevich's
administration. She says Roskam was a strong supporter of George Ryan.
ABC7 invited both candidates to appear in a debate. Roskam said yes.
Duckworth said no, claiming she has already accepted four debates and that's
enough.