This is a brief summary of an exciting new way of looking at PD that has
been taking shape over the last five years and which holds promise of
effective treatment via anti-inflammatory actions. I will be posting a
large body of work exploring this over the next few days at –

and welcome discussion.

Part One: Summary

I have been working on this for several months beginning with an
interest in Helicobacter pylori. There is no original research on my
part here other than the attempt to connect “the dots” generated by true
researchers. There are gaps, particularly where it is necessary to make
a leap from animal model or test tube to human. There are no doubt big
flaws that I have overlooked. But this theory answers more questions
about PD than I would ever have imagined. See if you agree.

Evidence for and implications of endotoxin-induced inflammatory origins
of Parkinson’s disease (PD):

Hypothesis: Parkinson’s patients are part of a subset of the population
who show a hypersensitivity to the endotoxin lipopolysaccharide (LPS)
resulting from neonatal exposure and which results in a chronic
inflammatory state in the brain. This inflammatory state results in both
longterm damage to the substantia nigra (SN) and, perhaps more
importantly, acute symptomology producing the typical Parkinson’s picture.

In addition to providing a plausible framework for the causes and effect
leading to PD, this hypothesis explains many seemingly unrelated facts
about the condition. Among them are the observed gender difference in
PD, the finding of iron in the SN, the geographical limitation of
damaged neurons to the SN, the nature of manganese induced parkinsonism,
the sleep disturbances common in PD, the amplification of symptoms by
stress, the elevated levels of cortisol common in PD, the role of
mercury, the problem of mitochondrial function, etc.

In addition, numerous anecdotal reports by patients of temporary
remission coinciding with use of drugs with known anti-inflammatory
effects are explained by the hypothesis as are similar reports and
epidemological data related to non-prescription medicines such as green
tea, turmeric, alpha-lipoic-acid, etc.

No other proposed hypothesis for the origins and course of Parkinson’s
disease comes close to explaining all of the above. Nor does any offer
the hope of such a quick test of the basic concept. Simply reproducing
the anecdotal information referred to above would immediately verify the
broader principle. Similarly, a move to clinical trials and even actual
treatment by way of “off label” use of already approved drugs should
allow speedy implementation.