From: [log in to unmask](Andrea Browning)

Senate to Protect Parkinson’s Veterans Centers

Vote Likely Tomorrow

Take Action! Visit this page:

http://capwiz.com/pan/utr/1/OIYCGEVVOG/IVCMGEVVRE/819643746]

Thanks to the hard work of the Parkinsonâ ™s, MS, and Veterans

communities, the Senate is expected to pass legislation as early as

tomorrow that would protect the Parkinsonâ ™s Disease Research

Education and Clinical Centers (PADRECCs) and Multiple Sclerosis

Centers of Excellence (MSCoEs) at the Department of Veterans Affairs.

PAN has been working to keep these center doors open by supporting

enactment of S. 1537, introduced by Sen. Akaka, which would help

protect the Parkinsonâ ™s VA centers by formally establishing the

centers, for the first time, through Congressional action.

On June 22, 2006, VA Committee Chairman Larry E. Craig included S. 1537

as part of his Veterans' Committee â œomnibus billâ  , S. 2694,

the Veterans' Choice of Representation and Benefits Enhancement Act of

2006. We are delighted to be included in the Committeeâ ™s

â œomnibusâ   bill because this bill has a strong likelihood of

passage by the Senate when it is brought to the Senate floor for a vote

this week.

Our next-step will be working with the House of Representatives and the

Congressional Working Group on Parkinsonâ ™s Disease to ensure that

the House also passes legislation to protect the Parkinsonâ ™s and

MS centers so that, ultimately, the President will sign this bill into

law.

PAN continues to work with our Congressional champions to make sure

that the centers continue to provide state-of-the-art clinical care and

outreach to our veterans while conducting research that will benefit

all Americans with Parkinsonâ ™s disease. Please visit the PAN

website for more information.

---

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please visit

http://capwiz.com/pan/lmx/u/?jobid=73499822&queueid=819643746.