# 215 - Thursday August 24, 2006 - DON'T TREAD ON ME!" The Family Rights
Issue in Restricting Stem-cell Research

  Before the stars and stripes became America's flag, one of the earliest
symbols of liberty was called the Gadsden flag, (source: Gadsden.info),
described by Benjamin Franklin:
".on one of the drums belonging to the marines... there was painted a
rattlesnake, with this modest motto under it, "Don't tread on me."

The rattlesnake, Franklin said, is "found in no other quarter of the world
besides America.

"She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders.She
never wounds 'till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and
cautioned him against the danger of treading on her.

"Liberty or Death: Don't tread on me."  In 1775, words like these were not
idle chit-chat, which is why Franklin signed his statement, "An American
Guesser", when he wrote it in the Pennsylvania Journal.
Are there liberties today worth fighting for, even at the risk of death?
I think so.

Which parent among us would not willingly face death to protect his or her
family?

If  a lion wanted to eat your spouse, for example, would you stand idly by,
occasionally offering advice? "Hit him again, hon! Oh, that was a good
 one"--?

Or would you pick up a heavy object like a frying pan, and do what you
could?

I read the story of a 70-year-old granddad in Africa who literally tackled a
lion. The animal bounded into the man's hut, apparently wanting to eat the
man's grandson. Grandfather jumped onto the lion's back and clung on for
dear life, distracting the animal, while the little boy ran next door and
brought back someone with a gun. The grandfather lived, you will be glad to
know.

None of us can know for sure how brave we would be until the life and death
situation takes place. Maybe I would hide under the bed, who knows?

For instance, some of the bravest talkers in Government have never been
warriors themselves.

I saw a list of the Congressmen and Senators who had served in the military,
versus those who had not-it was startling.

One party (I won't say which one*) almost never had served in the military.
They were very brave in volunteering somebody else to go and fight and die,
in defense of liberties we all enjoy; they just were too busy to actually
get involved themselves.

And the other party, including those officials who counseled peace? They
were most often the ones who had actually been in a war...

My own military record was three years in the Army, volunteer-I courageously
protected Arizona from electronically-guided missiles. You will be relieved
to know I was one hundred per cent successful, and Fort Huachuca still
stands. I feel personally responsible for the absolute lack of electronic
missile attacks on Arizona-a success rate that continues to this very day.

But while I polished my shoes and built fences and washed dishes and stood
guard duty, people I knew went to Viet Nam, and some did not come back.

Their sacrifice, like the patriots who died in the Revolutionary War, is
beyond my comment.

But whatever our experiences in war, or lack of same, I believe we all feel
the same way about defending our loved ones.

When our sons or daughters get sick, we want the best medicine available.

We do not want somebody else's personal opinions to block that medicine.

We whose families suffer incurable illness or injury have been patient with
Congress and the Senate and the White House.

We have offered the best information and advice available.

Embryonic stem cell research is supported by (to the best of my knowledge)
every major scientific, medical, and educational organization which has
taken a position on the issue.

Those who oppose the research do so for political or ideological reasons.
They can no longer claim they did not understand; they have been
systematically reached out to, again and again and again. They have been
warned and warned and warned.

They who are our leaders must deserve that honor, or be voted out.

While they may ignore the advances of medicine for themselves (like those
who refuse to accept blood transfusions for religious reasons) it would be a
crime for Big Government to deny my family the best medical treatment
science can provide.

Those who oppose the research cannot be allowed to prevail.

One party (with a few exceptions) has decided to block the research, even to
criminalize it-an attack on medicine which America has never tolerated
before, and never should.

The other (with a few exceptions) supports embryonic stem cell research
enthusiastically.

The safety and well being of our families demands we fight for medical
freedom, and elect Senators and Representatives who will do the same.

When we work within the democratic system to protect the rights of
researchers to develop new and better medical treatments, we are protecting
our loved ones.

When we register on-line and vote by absentee ballot-- and help those with
disabilities to do the same-- we are an active part of America's great
decision: to allow stem cell research to go forward, or not.

Can anyone who claims to love their family do less?

(*Hint: its leader is a man who cannot prove where he was during a year of
the time he was supposedly serving in the Texas Air National Guard.)

By Don Reed  www.stemcellbattles.com