Jackie,
Like yourself, I am a retired nurse and my husband (age 71) has PD.  He does
not have tremors.  His PD surfaced s/p CVA.  He developed restless leg
syndrome after the CVA and we went to the neurologist for treatment.  She
watched him walk and asked him if anyone had ever told him he had PD.  That
was 18 months ago.  She gave him samples of Mirapex which he took for about
10 days.  As you probably know, Mirapex is introduced gradually over several
weeks, so he never achieved a therapeutic level.  He just stopped taking
it.  He also denies he has PD.

Currently we're dealing with balance issues, stiffness in the lower
extremities, bradykinesia and short term memory loss.   We're scheduled to
return to the neurologist on 9/11/06, and I imagine she'll suggest trying
the Mirapex again.  Unfortunately with Mirapex, you cannot drive a car
because one of the side effects is falling asleep with no warning.  Actually
my husband has no business driving anyway, but that's another story.  Try to
tell an attorney something . . . .

He has recently taken some PT to work on his balance and that has seemed to
help a little.  He also takes water aerobics 3 times per week.  He works out
daily in our exercise room here at home.  He is able to golf a little,
playing from the forward tees and not keeping score!

We've tried accupuncture which he enjoys, but we have seen little if any
benefit. He also enjoys massage therapy which seems to temporarily help his
stiffness.

He is aware of his memory issues and has agreed to retire by year end.
Currently he works about 30-35 hours/week, but he now realizes he is not
able to keep up with his practice.  (Thank you, Lord for this admission.  I
have been terrified about liability issues associated with his practice even
though the mental activity has kept him going.)

I have to say our lives have changed dramatically over the last two years.
I know very little about PD other than the general symptomology.  I'm
grateful my husband does not have tremors, but his other symptoms are
difficult to deal with.  It's tough.  He has a wonderful spirit, and that
keeps things in perspective.

I'm glad to hear from you and hope this helps.
Lydia