-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Looking for participants in GDNF trial - can you help?

I am asking list members for help in locating participants in the
phase II GDNF trial, 2003-2004. We are especially hoping to find
partcipants from the Toronto area. These folks could hold one of the
keys to resolving one of the most controversial science questions in
the Parkinson's community.

You may be aware that this controversy has been going on since the
GDNF trial was halted by Amgen two years ago in September 2004. Many
of the participants had benefited greatly from this treatment and
were devastated by the halt.  The researchers are in disagreement
about it, but slowly more and more researchers are agreeing that the
Amgen's Phase II trial results were inconclusive, not negative as
originally stated and that further research on pump infusion delivery
of GDNF should proceed.

There are Phase II trial participants who still have their equipment
in, hoping for it to be reinstated.

These participants and other parkinson's advocates have been trying
to convince Amgen to repeat the trial, and provide compassionate use
to the original participants.

WHY are so many patients so adamant about resuming  GDNF trials? Many
of the trial participants say it saved their lives. Besides improving
symptoms it is neuro-restorative and neuro-protective. For PWP with
moderate or advanced PD, GDNF may currently be our best hope for the
future.  Stem cell therapy is very promising, but is many years away
and so is gene therapy, while GDNF which could have been in phase III
clinical trials by now, sits on the shelf at Amgen instead.

If you know someone who was in this trial or if  you belong to a
support group in Ontario or know others who do,please forward this
information to them. Perhaps one of their members was in this trial
and would fill out  a profile about their trial experience on the
Grassroots Connection website.  THEY CAN FILL IT OUT ANONYMOUSLY AND
DO NOT HAVE TO LIST THEIR TRIAL CENTER.
We would like to show Amgen how the treatment and trial halt affected
real people. Their experiences tell far more that statistics ever
will.

GRC website:  http://grassrootsconnection.com

here are the trial participant profiles received so far:
http://grassrootsconnection.com/gdnf_profiles2006/participants.htm

here is the profile form to fill out:
http://grassrootsconnection.com/GDNF_profile2006.htm

here is the history since the halt:
http://grassrootsconnection.com/grcissue_GDNF_research.htm

http://pdpipeline.org/yy_advocacy/opeds.htm#_Believe_
excellent summary!  much more also on this site

trial participant site:  http://gdnf4parkinsons.org/

Please contact me if have questions or want more information.
Thanks,
Linda Herman