Below is the response I received from my late great-aunt's daughter-in-law
who lives in Missouri when I asked her if she did or did not want to receive
posts I get from Diane Wyshak on the stem cell wars  in Missouri.  I do
appreciate her candor, but am beginning to to think the uninterested and the
cynical (although I share some of her cynicism re the drug companies) pose a
greater obstacle than the Brownbacks and Bushes to cures.  She is a well
born-again Baptist with healthy grandchildren, but her response kind of
surprised me.  I take comfort in the knowledge that change does not require
that everyone participate.  Only 1/3 of the people supported the American
Revolution.  Ray

"I really won't read most of them...know that I think most of the debate is
tied up in politics.

I don't believe it is all George Bush and the conservatives  fault...and
that there will be drastic changes if a democrat is elected.   I believe
that just as with cancer research, there is no economic reason for them to
find a real cure as many would be out of work. The patent and rights to
market the cure would cause such a tug of war amongst the pharmasudical (sp)
companies.   It does all boil down to the mighty dollar...unless we could
get Bill Gates or Warren Buffett behind it and beat them all to it we will
not likely see anything on the market for another decade.  Tonight Andy
Rooney showed predictions aired on their 60 Minutes program in 1986--they
said there would be a cure for cancer by 2001--there should have been but
just as creating cars to get a standard 50 miles to the gallon or hose that
won't run, it is not economically feasible...too many mouths to feed.   It
will merely be a political platform for the candidates--they will use it for
their gain-not to cure disease....sad but true."