Parkinson’s was my secret: now they’ll all know
By Sally Henfield
  A YOUNG man's struggle with a disease usually associated with the elderly
has been documented in a television programme he wrote and co-directed
himself.
Michael Gibson's battle with Parkinson's disease will be highlighted in a
Channel 4 documentary being aired tomorrow.
Michael, from Tan House Lane, Great Harwood, was diagnosed with the
progressive degenerative disorder at just 18.
The illness targets the central nervous system leaving sufferers struggling
with uncontrollable shaking and eventually destroying their ability to speak,
walk and look after themselves independently.

The 25-year-old, a former media student at Blackburn's St Mary's College,
pitched the idea of filming his fight with the disease to Channel 4 and the
resulting one-hour documentary, entitled All Shook Up - Parkinson's at 25,
will be shown at 11pm.
Michael said: "Having not told anyone about my illness for years and then
letting the whole of the UK into my secret is a big thing, but it was always
all or nothing.
"I chose all, the story had to be told."
One of Michael's main aims in making the documentary was to show that the
disease is not just one that affects the elderly - a similar mission to that
of Hollywood actor Michael J Fox, who was famously diagnosed with Parkinson's
at the age of 30.
Michael said: "I made the documentary for so many people who are suffering
with an illness, and not just Parkinson's disease.
It was my hope to inform and educate, raise awareness to eliminate ignorance
and to let people look at their lives in a different way and appreciate what
they have got. I know I do."
Michael received a first-class honours degree in television production from
Manchester Metropolitan University in 2004.
He has also carved out a successful career as a television presenter, hosting
MTV Select.
Michael added: "Parkinson's has given me a lot of drive, it has never stopped
me from doing anything."