Communications across the Atlantic were so poor then that trying to control
America from England was silly (now I can argue all over the globe - yippee !)
- besides making it impossible for rulers and ruled to know each others views,
necessary even for tyrants.   I read that hundres, maybe thousands died when
Britain pulled out of India - a good idea done too fast & religious extremists
took advantage of confusion.

Don't think anyone should rule anyone unless both parties want it.  Guy
Fawkes had the right idea but a seriously stupid plan to acheive it...