No one is quite sure how Amantidine works - but it is believed to be a
dopamine agonist.  Originally developed as an anti-viral agent, doctors
discovered that when their PWP took the drug their symptoms got better.
Eventually it was added to a PD drug regimen.

My husband's symptoms (he was diagnosed at 40 and originally had a terrible
time taking Sinemet) got substantially better when he began to take
Amantidine.

This is a relatively benign drug, but has been associated with
hallucinations in folks with advanced PD.  The up-side of Amantidine is that
it does protect from the flu.  My husband never had the flu until this year
when we decreased the drug.

Be aware that you cannot suddenly stop Amanditine  because it is somewhat
addictive neurologically (symptoms increase substantially when the drug is
suddenly stopped).
---------
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 66/26 with PD)