therapy, I just wanted to give my opinion.  I am feel that the reason there
hasn't been more effort to find something other than levadopa (aka
dopaminergic) therapy is because it works too darn well!  How many
medications show almost instantaneous results?  Not many, I assure you.

I imagine that the 40 years with nothing but dopamine "boosters" strongly
correlates to the fact that carbidopa/levadopa (Sinemet) is inexpensive to
manufacture, has an approved generic formula, and works well for thousands
of patients for a number of years. Many patients are happy (for a while),
doctors are happy (a quick in and out patient), and insurance companies are
happy ($$$$).  So why be in a hurry to change anything?  That's why we (the
patient) need to speak up.

As a voluntary member of the Parkinson's Pipeline Project, a group of
patients have been following new and potential treatments for PD for several
years.  And we found something that appears to work almost like dopamine
replacement, but without the horrible side effects.  The treatment is a
natural substance the body produces called GDNF (glial cell-derived
neurotrophic factor).  A company known as Amgen holds the patented synthetic
formula.  It is a known fact that cell regeneration is greatly increased
when bathed in GDNF.  Go to PubMed and do a search for GDNF or visit the
Pipeline site (see www.pdpipeline.org).

The only drawback (so far) is that GDNF must be delivered via a catheter
system that must be surgically implanted in your head, but the procedure is
relatively simple - not nearly as invasive as DBS.  In its clinical trials,
Phase I patients showed remarkable results.  Some who were wheelchair bound
were up and riding bikes, and others were able to return to work.  And many
have maintained this improvement even years after the trials were stopped.

Yes, Amgen halted the trials in Phase II.  They claimed for "safety reasons"
when concomitant monkey studies showed brain lesions and a few patients
developed antibodies.  The facts are that the patients with antibodies were
asymptomatic, and the monkeys were receiving GDNF doses that were much
greater than those of the patients.  In fact, some researchers are saying
that it was the abrupt withdrawal of GDNF that caused the lesions. Others
are challenging the study design saying the results are invalid due to too
low a number of participants in Phase II.

This story has been told publicly (here several times) and has divided
several professionals' opinions about the validity of the "safety" issues of
GDNF. Diane Sawyer followed a patient's story about the halting of the trial
on her morning show, 60 Minutes on CBS devoted an entire segment on it, and
researchers actually participating in the trials have argued for the
reinstatement of the GDNF trials, or at least let those patients for whom it
w as working have GDNF treatment reinstated.

So why would a company not want to find a better treatment for PD?  I am of
the opinion that this decision was a financial decision.  The trials were
halted at the same time the Vioxx issue hit the pharmaceutical market.  And
there are only an estimated 1.5 (more or less) Parkinson's patients, not a
big market like cancer or heart disease.

But it works, and although there are similar studies using other
neurotrophic factors (Neuturin, for example), they are in the early phases
and GDNF trials could either repeat Phase II or go on to Phase II, making
for a much faster availability of treatment that works!  And, like many of
you and having had PD for 12 years, my time is ticking away fast!
WE NEED YOU IN THIS BATTLE! Go to the Pipeline Project website (see above)
or reply here if you would like to help
Peggy