----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelly G" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: New subscriber-Hi

> Pam,
> Am hearing you say PD drugs may be causung my tremours? You may
> be right as
> everytime I was upgraded my shaking became worse. Something to
> discuss wuth
> doctor on the next visit.  Doctor does not want to put me on
> Senemet or
> Parcopa full time. Wonder why?
> Kelly G

First, you should distinguish between tremors and dyskinesias.
You had tremors (a shaking of the limb) for years before you had
any PD drugs.  Dyskinesias are odd-looking jerking motions that
occur when the level of the medication in the body is too high.

Basically, when you take a dose, the level in the body starts at
a low level, increases to a maximum, then drops off again.  Then
you take another dose.  When the disease advances to a certain
point, the ability of the body to use the meds is reduced, so the
low levels at the beginning and end of the cycle are not enough
to control the PD symptoms (known as "off" periods as opposed to
"on" periods, also referred to as "motor fluctuations") and the
higher levels in the middle of the cycle are too high and cause
dyskinesias.

Do you know whether you are having tremors or dyskinesias or
both?  Tremors are most likely at the beginning and end of the
medication cycle, dyskinesias in the middle.

There is disagreement among the experts as to whether Sinemet or
equivalent should be taken in the early stages of the disease.
There is some (less than conclusive) evidence that it takes
longer to develop motor fluctuations if the patient is taking a
dopamine agonist (Mirapex or Requip) rather than a form of
levodopa, such as Sinemet or Paricopa.  It is unclear whether
this is due to a reduction in the death of dopaminergic neurons
(a neuroprotective effect) or an artifact in the design of the
studies.  In any case, many doctors prefer to minimize or avoid
levodopa in the early stages of PD.

As for nausea, it is a well known side effect of dopamine
agonists.  You did not say which you were taking, but if your
reduced dose is not enough, you could try switching to another
one.  Of course, there are also a variety of medications for
nausea itself, which I don't know much about.