what we need is a new paradigm - one in which the idea
is not "how can we reduce dyskinesias" but "hey,
here's an idea! why didn't we think of this before?
what if we could come up with something that *didn't
cause* dyskinesias? and lose efficacy really fast and
cause motor fluctuations? wouldn't that be so cool?"

after all, they have been trying to fix dyskinesias
(etc.)  for almost 40 years - they are still trying
(i.e., their efforts have been failing for 40 years)

yes, there is research going on into areas other than
"bandaids for levodopa" but at my last really rough
estimate, there is something in the neighborhood of $1
billion worth of levodopa bandaid studies listed on
clinicaltrials.gov (both completed and ongoing, and
that is assuming they are all Phase I (i.e., the
cheapest) trials - which they are not.)

$1 billion is a lot of money to still be spending on
something that, while better than nothing, is
seriously broken, particularly when that money could
be allocated to other therapies - ones that would need
fewer bandaids.

call it my billion dollar bugaboo.