                           STEM CELL BATTLES

#224 - Wednesday, September13, 2006 - IF THEY SAY, WE SAY...One page of
Answers to Loaded Stem Cell Questions

 Since life begins at conception, doesn't stem cell research kill babies?

Stem cell research neither begins life nor ends it: it is cells, cells,
nothing but cells: no children are involved at all-except maybe the child
whose life is being saved.

What about the list of 58 diseases which adult stem cell therapies treat or
cure?

Both adult and embryonic stem cell research have value, and should go
forward.
But the list of alleged adult stem cell successes is a piece of propaganda
made up by an employee of a religious organization. It has been thoroughly
discredited.

Embryonic stem cell research has produced no cures-why should it be
supported?

Think back to when the Wright brothers flew the first airplane at Kitty
Hawk. Eight years later, there were no professional airlines-should we have
given up on flight? Embryonic stem cell research only began in 1998, but it
already demonstrates enormous promise.

Didn't' President Bush allow funding of embryonic stem cell research?

President Bush's policy allowed funding for a very small number of stem cell
lines, all of which are now old. They are considered unreliable, and tainted
by rat feeder layers.

How Can You Support Human Cloning?

I don't. Neither I nor any responsible scientist or organization supports
human reproductive cloning, which would be dangerous to mother and child. It
is morally repugnant, and useless, too-we can make plenty of people the old
fashioned way.

But aren't you in favor of Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer? Isn't that
cloning?

Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer (SCNT, sometimes called therapeutic cloning)
has nothing to do with cloning people, and everything to do with cells for
cure. SCNT is supported by Nancy Reagan, Michael J. Fox, former Presidents
Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter, the American Medical Association, and hundreds
of medical and scientific organizations.

SCNT is a slippery slope: if we allow SCNT, will not reproductive cloning
follow?

No. It is physiologically impossible to create a child without implanting a
blastocyst in the womb. SCNT involves neither fertilization by sperm, nor
any implantation.

"Left over" embryos from In Vitro Fertility (IVF) clinics should be adopted.

Great! But when a decision has been made to dispose of unwanted embryos
(there are currently 400,000 in frozen storage) potentially life-saving
research should be considered.

Don Reed, www.stemcellbattles.com