From: "Terry Robertson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, September 16, 2006 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: Terry Fox run for ESCR

Just a fine point of correction in the interest of historical accuracy. The
error in this news article about Terry Fox and the NCI is no doubt a 'typo',
dropping a zero, but Terry Fox actually ran more than three THOUSAND miles
not 300 in his "Marathon of Hope". He covered 5,373 kilometres which is
3,339 miles, or around 23.3 miles per day through Newfoundland, Nova Scotia,
Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, and Ontario as far as Thunder
Bay. This was back in 1980 and I remember it well. It was a very memorable
and moving event and while I knew the distance was over three thousand miles
and ended in Thunder Bay, the exact distances are from Wikipedia. We PWPD
needs heros like Terry Fox and it is good to know that his memorial
foundation is supporting  Embryonic Stem Cell Research! It is also an
interesting fact that another prominent role model of public service on
health issues, namely Michael J. also coincidentally has the same last name
and like Terry grew up in British Columbia.
Terry Robertson
Okanagan Centre
BC