Diane has been contacting congressional candidates.  The congressional map
that will allow you to contact them did not copy.  If you want it, let me
know and I'll send it to  you.  Ray

The politicians we elect to office in November will shape the future of stem
cell research in the United States.  They will do so by making fundamental
decisions about funding, regulating, or prohibiting the research.
 Patients and their families and friends urgently need government to fund
stem cell research, so that we may treat, and even cure some terrible
illnesses, such as juvenile diabetes, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and Multiple
Sclerosis.  And we are aghast at legislative measures that would actually
outlaw this potentially life-saving research.   Our task is both to educate
the public, including our elected l representatives, and to communicate to
voters where candidates stand on stem cell research issues, so that people
can vote in an informed way.

On the U.S. map below, click on a state to get  information about that
state.  We hope over the next several months to gather information about the
status of stem cell research in each state in the nation.  This information
will include the views on the research of current political office holders
and of candidates for office.  To help voters in each state vote
intelligently, we will write and publicize a "scorecard" that presents the
views of office-holders and candidates.

Because people are only now becoming involved with this grassroots campaign,
many states are not yet represented.  If you would like to help us educate
voters about where current office-holders and candidates stand on stem cell
research issues,  please contact a SCAN committee advocate in your state or
contact: Idelle Datlof.

If there is not yet a SCAN committee member in your state, please consider
becoming one yourself. Email or telephone us and we'll talk.

 Questionnaire
 Five questions we are asking candidates to find out where they stand on
stem cell issues
1)     Have you proposed or voted on any legislation to fund or regulate
stem cell research?  If so, what did you propose?  How did you vote?

2)     Is there pending legislation (in your state) on this issue?  If so,
what is your position on this legislation?

3)     What is your position on the use of excess embryos from IVF clinics
for the purpose of stem cell research?

4)     Somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT), also known as "therapeutic
cloning," uses a donated egg cell and replaces its nucleus with the nucleus
of a mature cell to grow stem cells.  What is your position on funding,
regulating, or outlawing SCNT?

5)     In the future, what legislation are you likely to initiate, support,
or oppose that will fund, regulate, or outlaw stem cell research?