Apmorphine is the rescue therapy trade named Apokyn.  We had a clinical
trial here in KC, people reported mixed results with it.  The pump is
supposed to give better results, but this is not a huge new deal...

-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of rayilynlee
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 10:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: What's this??

A MAN left paralysed by Parkinson's disease hailed a new wonder drug that
has let him walk again.

Former sugar sheds worker Michael Thompson, pictured, was facing life in a
wheelchair after a 15-year battle with the crippling illness.

And today Michael, 59, of Greenock, reveals that he suffered shocking abuse
in the street from people who thought he was drunk.

Now he is rebuilding his life after becoming the first sufferer in
Inverclyde to get the ground-breaking apomorphine pump treatment which stops
his tremors.

Michael's wife Elizabeth said: "It gets him on his feet and he can walk. It
has really changed his life.

"He used to fall on the living room floor and couldn't get back up. It was
terrible. I had to phone the emergency on-call service to pick him up. We
hope Michael's story helps others."

Former body builder Michael, of Nelson Street, said: "I take the drug in the
morning and within an hour I can walk. I used to fall in the street and
people thought I was drunk.

"Once I was walking with my granddaughter, who was only four. Someone told
me I was a disgrace for being drunk while out with her."

Michael also recalled students walking past him as he lay helpless on the
street. He said: "I fell outside the college and people just walked by me
because they thought I was drunk."

The new drug, pumped into his body every morning, stops the constant shaking
and allows him to have a quality of life again.

His GP Dr Francis Balmer at the Greenock Health Centre recommended the
treatment, which costs up to £30 a day.

Parkinson's is a neurological condition which affects body movements like
walking, talking and writing, and gets progressively worse.

It is caused by a loss of nerve cells in the brain.

Before getting the new wonder drug, Michael took a daily dose of tablets to
try and control his condition.