From: "Congressman C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 11:44 AM
Subject: Reply from Congressman Dutch Ruppersberger

Dear Ms. Wyshak:

I received your email regarding the importance of stem cell research.  I
appreciate hearing your views on this matter.

As a young attorney I was in a near fatal car accident.  The quick work of
Maryland's Emergency Medical Shock Trauma system saved my life.  My
experiences with Shock Trauma prompted my entrance into politics and to this
day I serve as Vice Chairman of its Board of Visitors.  Most recently, I had
a lengthy conversation with a close friend who has ALS, amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis, better known as Lou Gehrig's disease.  It is the continued stem
cell research of his doctor that gives him the strength to fight everyday to
stay with us.

Because of my accident I have always been supportive of medical research,
including stem cells.  What is at the core of this debate is research to
find cures from some of our country's most serious health conditions. It is
even more critical, as you have pointed out, because of stories such as Cpl.
Noah R. Currier, USMC.  The service men and women in uniform give to our
country is immeasurable.  We should be searching for every cure and
available option to help them recover as they return from Iraq and
Afghanistan.

It is my belief that through stem cell research we can provide both help and
hope to the countless Americans and their families affected by degenerative
diseases.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if you have any
questions or comments.  To receive additional information about issues that
are facing Congress, Maryland, and the Nation that may affect you and your
community, please visit my website at www.dutch.house.gov and sign up for my
periodic e-mail newsletter.

Sincerely,

C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger