Dear Gerri,

I hear you loud and clear and I feel your pain.  Every day.   With every breath I take.  There is no reason I can see that your husband should have to suffer when maybe, just maybe something could have been done.   We have lost 5 precious years research time, contentious  fights go on at the state level and progress is almost  non-existent as the opposition is strong.

I 'll bet we were both raised to stifle politics and religion with friends and relatives with whom we disagreed.  But we have never to my knowledge had a government hostile to science before.  This is a matter of life and death and I don't see how we can remain silent.
Sure we've had opponents of vaccination, autopsies, blood transfusions, organ transplants, heart surgery, IVF, but never on a scale so pervasive as a government obstructing our health such as opposition to Plan B, vaccinations to prevent cervical cancer, and Brownback & Co.'s attempts to criminalize ESCR, etc. etc.

We have a national deficit of $9 trillion dollars.  Can you imagine how much medical research that could buy?  I was a Republican for 45 years of my adult life because the Democrats supposedly were the war party and ran up deficits and wasted money.  What happened?

We all do what we can and since my voice is shot, I sign on-line petitions to my congresspersons, write letters to them and to newspapers, and work with mostly people of faith to raise awareness of what is happening in this country.  I don't believe that I am an obstacle to progress.  I think it is important that we identify the obstructionists. This president has issued over 350 "signing statements" exempting himself from enforcing laws he doesn't like and this sinister turn in national affairs encompasses much more than ESCR or PD.

 It is too late for me and your husband, but there is posterity to think about.  I just wish we could discuss politics and religion, as I believe that now it has EVERYTHING to do with whether we get a cure or better therapies for all deadly diseases, not just PD.
Ray