| Pennell and his group report that levels of dieldrin in the
autopsied brain
| tissue of 14 Parkinson's patients were more than three times
those of 12
| similarly aged people who didn't have the disease.
| The researchers also exposed mice to repeated low-level doses
of dieldrin to
| simulate environmental exposure that humans might encounter.
The mice's brain
| tissue showed significant reductions in the uptake of dopamine,
| neurotransmitter. And, levels of carbonyls -- a marker of
oxidative stress --
| were increased substantially in the brain of dieldrin-treated
mice, Pennell
| reported.
| "Our research shows that elevated levels of dieldrin are
associated with
| Parkinson's disease in humans, which is supported by an animal
model study
| that correlates low-level exposure to dieldrin with early
markers of
| Parkinson's disease," he explained.

Interesting, but puzzling.  (Sorry for the delay in responding.)

Generally, organochlorine pesticides like dieldrin are stored in
the fat, not the brain.  Thus, the people with PD and higher
levels of dieldrin in their brains may NOT have been exposed to
higher levels of the pesticide.  Rather, something about PD may
have caused the dieldrin to be released from the fat.

Also, given the very small numbers of people, it would be
interesting to know their causes of death.  In particular, might
the PD patients have happened to have lost a lot of weight
shortly before their deaths?  This would have released stored
dieldrin from their fat.

It is not news that organochlorine pesticides are neurotoxins.
They are designed to kill bugs by messing up their
neurotransmitters.  The fact that dopamine is affected is not
surprising.

It gets pretty complicated!