Message being forwarded -- worth reading ....

November  Election -  Stem Cell Research -  Candidates
Hello All,
The November 2006 elections are only a few weeks away.  We have an
opportunity to increase the  political support for stem cell research that has the
potential to cure  Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Diabetes, Cancer, Multiple Sclerosis,
Spinal Cord  injuries and many other debilitating conditions.
While we here in the United States continue to create  barriers to stem cell
research  through legislation, court challenges,  and the lack of Federal
government funding, other countries like Singapore are  expanding their research
efforts by hiring some of our brightest researchers,  providing companies
incentives to relocate, and are overall aggressively  supporting stem cell
research.
We still have a chance to take a leadership role in this  new technology if
we elect those who support stem cell research.
Those of you who have a disability cannot count on your  advocacy
organization to take care of this for you since many are 501© (3)  non-profit
organizations and cannot take a stand on political candidates.  We need to do it
ourselves.
By a wide margin, the majority of the  US Population,  medical researchers,
the US House, and the US Senate support embryonic stem cell  research.
Unfortunately there were  not enough votes in the House to override a Presidential
Veto on legislation  that would have moved the research forward in the  United
States.
It is time that we elect candidates who will listen to  the scientific
experts and support the majority. Many researchers believe that  stem cell research
could play an important part in the development of cures or  improved
therapies...  What we need  to do is …
    *   Commit to taking an active role in our  future
    *   Actively support stem cell research
    *   Find out where those running for office in  November stand on stem
cell research
    *   Support the candidates that are most committed  to stem cell research
–  join  these candidate’s campaign team
    *   Continue to track web sites that report  candidate’s positions on
stem cell research
1.       Stem  Cell Action Network (SCAN) - _http://stemcellaction.org/_
(http://stemcellaction.org/)   - has a  Stem Cell Voter Score Card – lists
candidates and their stem cell research  positions <<still being updated>> – contact
_Idelle  Datlof_ (mailto:[log in to unmask])  if you  would like to
help
2.      The  Coalition for the Advancement  of Medical Research (CAMR) -
_http://www.camradvocacy.org/_ (http://www.camradvocacy.org/)   -  <<told they
would have candidate positions also in the future  >>
3.      Your Candidates Your Health
_http://www.yourcandidatesyourhealth.org/_ (http://www.yourcandidatesyourhealth.org/)   –  invited more than 1,650
candidates to  respond to their 10 question Voter Guide questionnaire.- Question
10 was  “Do you support federal funding for  research using embryonic stem
cells?”  Their responses are documented on this  web site.
§         Make sure that the  campaign and hopefully the candidate are aware
of the support they received from  stem cell advocates.
It is hopped that every  advocate would join us in declaring…
"I WILL VOTE IN NOVEMBER BUT I WILL NOT VOTE  FOR ANY CANDIDATE WHO DOES NOT
SUPPORT EMBRYONIC STEM CELL  RESEARCH.”
LET THEM KNOW THAT IF THEY  WANT YOUR VOTE THEY MUST SUPPORT THE RESEARCH.
It has been suggested that for many diseases / disorders  the best use of
time allocated to advocacy until the November 7th  election should be to help
elect pro-stem cell research candidates.  In past elections, many advocates would
 share their preferences quietly and then spend the next 2-6 years trying to
persuade those elected to support their causes.  Why not elect supporters in
the first  place?
Forward this message to your e-mail lists.  If stem cell research might help
you  with your condition, let your friends and family know and ask for their
vote.
If we assume that this email is sent to 200 advocates for it’s initial
mailing and they forward it to 5 advocates and this process is repeated 5 times  we
will have reached more than 3 million potential voters.
Now, let’s get going and make it happen.  We can be in control of our future.
 Elect stem cell research supporters. It  is better to elect supportive
candidates than spend the next 2 – 6 years trying  to educate / persuade them to
support us in our fight for a cure.
STEP 1 – MARK  YOUR CALENDAR TO VOTE – NOVEMBER 7TH (TUESDAY)
2006
STEP 2 -  CHECK THE WEB SITES FOR THE CANDIDATES LATEST POSITION ON STEM CELL
 RESEARCH
STEP 3 – GET  AT LEAST 5 ADDITIONAL VOTERS COMMITTED TO ELECTING CANDIDATES
WHO SUPPORT STEM  CELL RESEARCH
STEP 4 – VOTE  (either absentee or in person on November 7th)
STEP  5 – REMIND OTHER SUPPORTERS TO VOTE
Don’t assume that your family, friends, and those on your e-mail list  know
how important this issue is to you or assume that somebody else will  contact
them.  Forward this to them  and ask for their support.
We can win, but each of us needs to take action. Let’s  start NOW.  Print a
copy as a  reminder and forward this email to your email list.